Wondering which tax form you should fill out this year?

To file your 2010 individual tax return, you’ll have to decide which form to use…unless you e-file. This year, choosing which form to file will be even more important since the IRS will no longer be mailing paper tax packages.

The IRS is taking this step because of the continued growth in electronic filing, the availability of free options to taxpayers and to help reduce costs. Taxpayers can still get forms and instructions online at http://www.irs.gov, at local IRS offices or from participating community outlets like many libraries and post offices.
If you file your return using IRS e-file, the system will automatically decide which form you need.
Here are some general rules to consider when deciding which paper tax form to file.
Use the 1040EZ if:
• Your taxable income is below $100,000
• Your filing status is Single or Married Filing Jointly
• You and your spouse – if married — are under age 65 and not blind
• You are not claiming any dependents
• Your interest income is $1,500 or less
Use the 1040A if:
• Your taxable income is below $100,000
• You have capital gain distributions
• You claim certain tax credits
• You claim adjustments to income for IRA contributions and student loan interest
If you cannot use the 1040EZ or the 1040A, you’ll probably need to file using the 1040.
Among the reasons you must use the 1040 are:
• Your taxable income is $100,000 or more
• You claim itemized deductions
• You are reporting self-employment income
• You are reporting income from sale of property

You can gain quick and easy access to IRS forms and instructions or find out more about e-file by visiting http://www.irs.gov. Tax products are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and often appear online well before they are available on paper. To view and download tax products, visit the IRS website and select Forms and Publications.
In the Navy Region Pacific Northwest, VITA will have 5 tax centers open from 26 January 2011 till 18 April 2011 at the following locations with the following operating hours.

Naval Base Kitsap Bangor
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Old Bank Building (BLDG 2007)
2007 Scorpion Drive
Silverdale, WA 98315
(360) 315-8202

Naval Base Kitsap Bremerton
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Naval Operational Support Center
BLDG 1013, 2nd Deck
Bremerton, WA 98314
(360) 627-2244

Naval Station Everett
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Naval Operational Support Center
BLDG 2106, RM 220
Everett, WA 98207
(425) 304-3884

Naval Air Station Whidbey Island
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Naval Operational Support Center
1045 Midway St
BLDG 2739, RM 232
Oak Harbor, WA 98278
(360) 257-3052

Naval Hospital Bremerton
Noon to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
1 Boone Road
Legal Office, Room 3507
Bremerton, WA 98312
(360) 475-4644
Available only to NHB Staff and their Spouses filing jointly.

You can also get tax updates on Facebook at Naval Legal Service Office Northwest.

POC: LTJG Maggie Villagran, Region Tax Officer, JAGC, USN, 360.396.6003, DSN 744.


About rlsonw

Navy JAG Corps
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s